Courtesy of The Huffington Post, today we have "11 super weird things about The Beatles". Their article coincides with the 48th anniversary of the release of their Revolver album.
I consider myself to be a big Beatles fan, and know quite a bit about them. I even wrote a thesis paper in high school all about the Fab Four, and their impact in America (I got an A-).
But I have to admit...I only knew 5 of the 11 factoids below.
1) The Beatles concerts were said to smell heavily of urine due to overexcited girls.
2) George Harrison lost his virginity while the other Beatles secretly watched. They cheered when he finished.
3) The Beatles officially broke up at Disney World. "In her book, Instamatic Karma, John Lennon's former girlfriend, May Pang, recalled the moment that Lennon officially ended The Beatles: 'When John hung up the phone, he looked wistfully out the window. I could almost see him replaying the entire Beatles experience in his mind. He finally picked up his pen and, in the unlikely backdrop of the Polynesian Village Hotel at Disney World, ended the greatest rock 'n' roll band in history by simply scrawling John Lennon at the bottom of the page.'"
4) The Beatles planned to start their own utopian community on Greek islands.
5) A dentist introduced The Beatles to LSD by secretly slipping it into their coffees. (This happened to Lennon, Harrison and their wives.)
6) Soviet Russians had to listen to The Beatles music on converted X-Ray scans. 7) After bathing in urinals for almost a year, The Beatles got kicked out of Germany for lighting a condom on fire.
8) The Beatles were the first to do many things, including feature the "devil horns" rock hand on an album cover (Yellow Submarine).
photo credit: WikiCommons
9) A teenager in Maryland started Beatlemania in the U.S. "According to legend, Beatlemania taking off in the U.S. can be largely attributed to a 15-year-old Marylander named Marsha Albert. After seeing a news segment about the band, Albert called a local radio station in Washington, D.C., and asked, 'Why can’t we have music like that here in America?' The DJ then tracked down a copy of 'I Want to Hold Your Hand,' and the station began playing the record..."
10) John Lennon was day drunk when he first met Paul McCartney - July 6th, 1957.
11) The Vatican's official publication named Revolver as the best pop album of all time in 2010.