Location: Grove Stone & Sand Company, Black Mountain NC
Registration & Details: https://www.spartan.com/en/race/detail/2305/overview
Welcome to Asheville: Where the rugged, earthy terrain encapsulates everything the perfect Spartan Race needs.
Nestled in the shadow Mount Mitchell State Park, even the most seasoned racers will realize this is a course that makes the most of what nature has to offer. You may find respite via the grass and forests... but the stones, rocks and gravel will make sure that you remain outside of your comfort zone.
TOP REASONS TO TAKE ON THE COURSE:
1. Asheville is one of the grittiest, rockiest venues on the Spartan calendar. This, coupled with steep slopes, means that when you earn your Finisher’s medal and shirt there will be no doubt you also earned your bragging rights.
2. The granite materials in the area are traditionally used for building materials, so you know that this course will be something very satisfying to conquer. This is a tough venue for tough racers!
3. The blockbuster movies, “The Hunger Games,” “Forrest Gump,” “The Fugitive” and “Last of the Mohicans” were all filmed in Asheville. Over 60 other movies have used Asheville as the setting.
4. Be sure to replace those burned calories at the highly-rated Curate restaurant located nearby -- You will have earned it! Highly rated, it even holds a certificate of excellence from TripAdvisor.
5. We guarantee you will be thirsty after all that running, climbing, carrying and crawling. Luckily, Asheville boasts many beer and brewery tours to quench your thirst.
6. In the unlikely event that you feel you need more in the way of nature, the famous Blue Ridge Mountains are close by for those looking for a nice hike. Balloon rides over Asheville are also an option if you have your sites on a more aerial view.
7. Still have excess energy? Try some local zip-lining or underground caving. The area is a hotbed for outdoor pursuits and is ideal for gritty Spartans.
8. Asheville is home to a thriving and sophisticated art and music culture. After the race, why not soak up some of the trendy downtown scene?
9. The elevation around Asheville means it is one of the best places in the country to watch the sunset. You won’t want to miss it.